Connecting in the Classroom
Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) of Galveston County represents the best interests of children in foster care and supports their families in creating safety. In an ongoing effort to ensure these children have the proper educational assessments and academic support; CASA recently formed an education committee to partner with the school districts to better connect in the classroom.
The education committee will start by visiting school counselors and eventually teachers to share the mission and message of CASA and how they can most effectively collaborate for the best interest of the child.
How does a CASA volunteer interface with a school and a teacher? A CASA may visit the child at school and contacts the teacher(s) for progress information and a copy of the report card each reporting period. A CASA attends Admission, Review and Dismissal (ARD) meetings, as needed, to advocate and support the child’s academic needs.
A CASA will also assist the teacher if she or he needs assistance being in touch with the caregiver. In general, a CASA volunteer is there to provide educational support to the caregiver and assist with an open line of communication with school staff.
Meet our Education Committee below!
- Educational Advocacy Guidebook (2018 Update)
- CASA Connecting in the Classroom- Brochure
- Texas Higher Education Foster Care Liaisons | Texas Foster Care Liasons | Galveston County Foster Care Liasons
- DFPS Education Specialists by Region
- Foster Care & Student Success
- The Texas Blueprint: Transforming Education Outcomes for Children & Youth in Foster Care
- Information Sharing Between Child Welfare and Schools
- Behavioral Health School Discipline and Trauma
- Special Education and Students in Foster Care
- Transition Planning Guide for Students in Foster Care Receiving Special Education Services 2017
- Road to College- Texas Foster Youth and Post-Secondary Education
- Tuition and Fee Waiver Information Video
- Texas Foster Care Tuition & Fee Waiver Process
- Intellectual Development Disorder Basics
- Clothing help through the Assistance League of the Bay Area
- Calvin Vincent Early Childhood Center Pre- K
- Education for Children DFPS Resource Guide 2018
- Children’s Commission: Back to School for the 2020-2021 School Year
- Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee Meeting Essentials for Parents
- Procedural Safeguards for Students in Special Education
- For Advocates: Education Assistance Referral Request